Sunday, August 7, 2011

Weekend Meals: Vietnamese Ribs and Lemon Sorbet

I had never tried Vietnamese food until recently when my good friend bragged that her husband cooks the best Vietnamese food.  So I figured if he can cook it, so can I.  Luckily, one of my cookbooks had a few recipes inserts from chef Luke Nguyen, owner of the world famous Red Lantern, a Vietnamese restaurant in Sydney, Australia.  My first attempt at his recipes was with the Shrimp Sauteed with Fish Sauce and it was delicious.  I have made it a couple of times when I've had friends over and it was a hit every time.

This weekend, since we are home bound with the visit of Emily, which now is only a Tropical depression, I decided to try his other recipe - Vietnamese Braised Pork Spareribs.  Let me just say it, it was delicious.  Even my 2 year old loved it!!! The ribs are first marinated, then roasted and simmered in coconut water with Asian spices, what's not to love.                                                                            



For desert, I made it for the first time Lemon Sorbet.  It's easy, light and refreshing, a perfect blend of sweet and tart to end the meal. 


Here is the recipe:

- 5 or 6 lemons
- 1 and a half cup of water
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest

Start by making the syrup, boil the water and sugar for 1 minute until it dissolves.  Add the lemon zest and let is steep for 10 minutes.  Add the lemon juice and cool it in the fridge for 3 hours before putting in an ice cream maker.





Bon apetit everyone!!!

3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious!
    I wish I could cook as well as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed. I don't think Ive met anyone who knows as much about this subject as you do. You are truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. Really, great blog you have got here. vietnamese food to eat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. authentic vietnamese food singapore

    ReplyDelete